PuTTY is a lightweight tool for Windows, Unix which can send and receive data in SSH, Rlogin, Tenlet and other Network protocols.
As far as you know, SSH, Telnet, and Rlogin are the three methods to connect to several computers from a computer. PuTTY is a client program allowing you to use SSH, Rlogin, Tenlet protocols to work on a computer remotely through internet connection.
You just need to run PuTTy on a computer running Windows, this application will open a window where all your input data will be sent directly to Unix computer or vice versa. Therefore, you can work with Unix computer like sitting in front of it while you are at another place.
With PuTTy, almost servers will use standard connection, so you do not have to change any settings.
When connecting to another computer, PuTTY will log and check all the server keys to secure your information.
PuTTY also allows users to save all settings in the profile or change the default settings for the new sessions.
PuTTY is a multi-platform program developed to run on at least such operating systems as Windows, Mac OS, and Unix.
Main features of PuTTY:
- Support SSH-2 (both RSA and DSA)
- Save all settings of PuTTY in the profile
- Change default settings
- Work well on Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
- Resize the program's window in Aero mode for Windows 7
- Support various text fonts
- Support private AES encryptions in OpenSSH
- Detect host logical name based on the hardware and IP address